Saturday, October 22, 2016

Week #8:

This week has been a learning experience for me. I have lived a rather blessed life. I was not raised in a family with loads and loads of money, but my parents always provided my brother and I with every opportunity or resource we needed/desired. Growing up, I never had the experience of defeat in any aspect of my life. When I decided I wanted to be the best at something, I would set my mind on it and I always achieved my goals. Today, my goals are no longer focused on athletics, student body leadership, or social status. Pursuing an education at BYU has been a learning experience, and much needed humbling experience for me at such a critical time in my life.

I never had a desire to work for top-notch grades until beginning college. In fact, when I was in high school I would often cheat on assignments and fake my way through tests. A funny joke my friends and I had in high school, was that although I was the only one who did not take school seriously, I was the only one that took the ACT seriously; and, as a result I scored the highest on the ACT. Starting my education at BYU as an Economics Major has taught me that "The law of returns" is a true principle. My girlfriend and I have this conversation often. We both have very challenging courses we are enrolled in. The difference, is that she has taken her education seriously from an early age, and I am now trying to maintain above-average grades at an above-average university. Although I am able to do so (for the most part), it definitely does not come without stress.

I am grateful for my educational experience at Brigham Young University. I don't agree with the education system, and although I can't say I will remember derivatives, logarithms, the Smoot-Hawley Tariff, Protein synthesis, Chemical bonds and their formulas; however, I can say that as I have taken the time to learn these different abstract concepts, Brigham Young University has tested me beyond my own limits, and has helped me see that I can accomplish anything that I want to in life. Even if it's an educational pursuit. I couldn't have said that before enrolling at this great university.

For that reason alone, I am grateful for my educational experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment